Last week a Unified Fire team extinguished a fire that began late in the evening in one of Fremont Elementary School’s relocatbale classrooms.
Fire officials said the blaze began after a faulty thermostat melted and caught fire. Crews were able to quickly douse the flames and confine the fire to the attic area.
Besides the rapid response by Unified Fire Authority, Fremont students were most relieved to hear that all the animals – rabbits, hamsters, fish, ferrets, and birds – inside the relocatable classroom were rescued. The ‘Living Classroom,’ as it’s called, allows Fremont students to conduct science investigations and learn about genetics, zoology and ecology in a hands-on environment.
“The Living Classroom resources provide a different dynamic to hands-on learning by encouraging students to interact with animals in the classroom,” said Fremont principal Paul McCarty.
Not a single animal – including all the fish in the classroom’s specialized hatchery – was lost in the fire thanks to the quick-thinking firefighters.
In gratitude for their service, Fremont students invited the Unified Fire team to the school to give them handmade ‘Thank You’ cards and show off the animals that were saved from the fire.
“The students treated them like heroes,” McCarty said. “Cpt. Thorell and his team were very moved; it was all very touching.”