Changes to the secondary fee schedule are set to take effect for the 2016-17 school year. Below is a summary of the proposed changes:
An increase of $20 for senior high school extracurricular participation. With the increase, fees will range from $55 to $70, depending on the sport.
Why is the senior high extracurricular participation fee increasing?
- Basic costs to purchase and maintain equipment have risen substantially, and schools have seen a decrease of discretionary (vending machine) funds, which have been used to assist with sports budgets.
- This fee increase will help replace or repair existing equipment to keep our students safe and as competitive as possible. The fee was last raised in the 2008-2009 school year.
- Even with the increase, Granite School District’s participation fees would remain at or below levels in surrounding school districts: Alpine – $100, Canyons – $70, Davis – $70, Jordan – $130.
An increase of the musical instrument rental fee from $50 at the junior high level and $60 at the high school level to $75 (for first instrument) for both junior high and senior high schools.
Why is the musical instrument rental fee increasing?
- Instruments throughout the district are aging, and costs associated with replacing instruments have increased. The current fee, which was established in the 2008-2009 school year, no longer covers the cost for repairing current instruments or purchasing new instruments.
- The increase would make Granite School District’s fees comparable to surrounding districts: Alpine – $70, Canyons – $80, Jordan – $80, Davis – $95, Murray – $70.
As always, families may apply for a fee waiver if they are unable to pay school fees. It is our intention that no student will be left out of a quality educational experience because the family cannot afford to pay the fees.
Fee waiver applications can be obtained at the school.
If you’d like to provide feedback to the Board of Education on the proposed secondary fee schedule, please send an email to: email@example.com
The 2016-17 Secondary Fee Schedule is scheduled for final approval during the January 5, 2016, Granite School District Board of Education meeting.