With multimedia projects, students can communicate information through text, graphics, video, sound, interaction or animation.
Why use multimedia in the classroom?
Creating multimedia projects can:
- Engage and motivate learners
- Support information acquisition, assimilation and processing
- Foster collaboration and communication.
- Promote thinking and reasoning
- Stimulate imagination and creativity
- Accommodate diverse learning styles
- Address a variety of instructional purposes
- Create real-world connections
- Give students a voice and choice
- Provide an opportunity for students to take ownership and pride in their work.
Best Practices for Multimedia Use and Production
Having a process for students to follow when creating multimedia projects can make a multimedia production project run much smoother and results in higher quality projects. Here is a general outline of steps students might follow when creating a multimedia project:
- Come up with and develop an idea for their project.
- Research the topic.
- Write a script.
- Storyboard the project.
- Collect or create the images, video, and audio for the project.
- Edit the project.
- Share their work and get feedback.
Tools for Creating Multimedia Projects
There are many great tools available for teachers and students to create multimedia projects. A fairly comprehensive list of web tools and apps may be found here: eMINTS Tools for Schools: Creativity Tools or our collaborative list of Presentation and Digital Storytelling Tools.
A few tools we recommend are:
- Edtechteacher. Video in the Classroom.
- Newingham, B. (2010). Movie-Making in the Classroom. Scholastic.
- ALTEC at the University of Kansas. Kid’s Vid.
- Morra, S. (2013). 8 Steps to Great Digital Storytelling.
- Starr, L. (2010). The Educator’s Guide to Copyright and Fair Use. Education World.
- Engram, J. Benefits of Using Multimedia in Education.
- Porter, B. Digital Storytelling in the Classroom.
++ Indicate future links to Technology Integration Progress resource pages not yet completed. These pages will be added to throughout the year, and we will post updates about new content on our blog and social media accounts. If you have a request or suggestion for new or additional content, please let us know.