The Department of Educational Equity in conjunction with the Fine Arts and Dance Curriculum and Instruction Department are pleased to present the:
Cesar Chavez worked hard for social change to support the rights of migrant farm workers. Like Cesar Chavez, there are many others who fight for social justice. Social justice includes equal access to liberties, civil rights, and opportunities for all.
Women of the Movement. How are women standing up for Social Justice?
This year we honor the many women who stand up for social justice. You may recognize the contributions of specific leaders such as Dolores Huerta, Sojouner Truth, Martha Hughes Cannon, Patsy Mink, Abagail Adams, Sandra Cisneros, Ruby Bridges, Grace Lee Boggs, Wilma Mankiller, or other women who past-and-present have championed social justice.
- Winners will be selected from multiple grade spans.
- All winning entries will be publicly displayed at the Granite School District Art Gallery in October.
- Four Grand Prize winners will be honored at the UCLR Cesar Chavez Banquet in March 2019.
- This is not a scholarship competition.
Visual Arts Guidelines
- All 2D visual arts entries may be any size between 8.5” x 11” and 18” x 24”.
- 3D art pieces should be 12″ x 12″ or smaller.
- Watercolor, pencil, charcoal, oil pastel, chalk, oil paint, crayon, etc. are all encouraged.
- Please no glitter.
- Attach the registration form to the back of entry.
Language Arts Guidelines
- Entries must fit on the front of a single sheet of 8 ½’’ x 11’’ paper.
- Argumentative, persuasive, explanatory, and narrative essays are acceptable. Poetry is also acceptable.
- For young students, illustrated sentences or paragraphs are acceptable.
- Entries may be submitted in either English or Spanish. Other languages are acceptable if accompanied by an English translation.
- Typed entries must use a standard Arial or Times Roman style font.
- Staple the registration form to the back of entry.
- Exhibit October 8th to November 14th, Granite Art Gallery.
- Gallery Reception, November 13, 2018, Granite Art Gallery.
- Cesar Chavez Banquet, March 2019, TBD
- Students and Teachers may collect artwork from the gallery on November 15th from 3:00 to 5:00 pm.
- Cesar Chavez Foundation
- Cesar Chavez at BrainPop
- Cesar Chavez at California Department of Education
- Civil Rights Videos at NeoK12
- Delores Huerta Videos at Makers.com
If you have additional questions, contact Nathan Moore (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) or
Noemi Hernandez-Balcazar (Email: email@example.com).