To increase the number of underrepresented minorities and women who enter and succeed in Math, Science, Engineering, and related technical fields as well as teaching.
MESA is offered in the 8 senior high schools and 16 junior high schools. It is a club with a specific focus. Students generally meet after school and participate in different activities. They also take field trips to industry and participate in specialized activities related to MESA at the universities and colleges. Parental involvement is a requirement for students to be enrolled. Students must also maintain a 2.5 GPA to be involved in the club.
School’s MESA Team
Comprised of a teacher who serves as an adviser, a school counselor to provide academic support for the students and the school administration. The adviser helps the club presidency to organize and set up activities; the counselor tracks the students and helps them with academic counseling and the administrator is in charge of the program.
Students also participate during the MESA DAY activities which are related to science, mathematics and engineering.
Advanced Placement Classes
MESA students are also advised to take math classes each year with the goal for all MESA students to take Advanced Placement Math classes.
MESA Math Scholarships
Each year, industry partners, colleges (Utah State University, University of Utah, Weber State University, Salt Lake Community College) and the MESA/STEP INDUSTRY ADVISORY committee provide scholarships for students. Through applications, students are selected to receive the MESA Scholarships which are presented at an annual banquet. Granite School District has the most scholarships on a yearly basis.
Elements of MESA include
- Hands-on math, science, and engineering exploration
- Development of academic strategies
- College and career information
- Promotion of life skills
- Parent outreach and information
- Role models from higher education and the business community
- Special events including competitions, campus visits, and field trips
- MESA UT and Granite MESA Day have been cancelled due to COVID. We look forward to receiving your VIRTUAL entries to each of the events offered this year!
- State Competition at Physics Day at Lagoon will be held on May 13. This will be a LIVE event, not virtual. Register your teams for Lagoon events HERE.
- National Engineering Design Competition (NEDC) will be held virtually again this year. The local competition will take place on April 30, 2022.