Welcome to the Parent & Family Resource Guide, a one-stop page for information on various topics and resources in the Granite School District. If you can’t find a topic, let us know for future updates.
Are we missing something? Suggest a resource link!
Suggest a Parent & Family Resource
Are you aware of an important resource that should be included on this page? Did you come to this page looking for a resource that you could not fine? Please let us know so that we can update this guide to be more useful.
- Board of Education – Get to know the Granite Board of Education
- School Search – Where do I look up a school boundary and the associated bus eligibility and stops.
- Boundary Map – What school should my child attend?
- District Map – What schools are part of Granite School District?
- Upcoming Events – What activities are coming up?
- Student Calendar – What days do my kids have off this month?
- School Directory – What time does school start and end?
- Inclement Weather Closure Procedures – What are the weather closure procedures?
- Recess and Air Quality – Air Quality Index and indoor recess recommendations.
- Preschool Registration – How do I register my child for preschool?
- Graduation Dates – Where can I learn more about my student’s graduation?
ACADEMICS & CURRICULUM
- Open Enrollment – Where do I find information about school open enrollment?
- Concurrent Enrollment – How can my student take college level courses while in school?
- Curriculum – What curriculum is taught in Granite School District?
- Granite Online Learning – What are my options for online learning?
- Homeschool/Home Hospital – Can I home-school my student?
- Dual Language Immersion – What is dual immersion and what opportunities are available at Granite School District?
- Gifted and Talented – What schools offer the Gifted and Talented program and how do I get my student tested?
- English Language Arts-Secondary – Where can I find English as a second language resources?
- Schools’ Libraries – What books are in my library?
- Granite Library Materials Selection, Reconsideration, and Deselection Guidelines – What are the guidelines for having materials for the library chosen or removed?
- Flowchart for Navigating Granite’s Book Deselection and Reconsideration Process (PDF) – What is the process for having materials removed from the library?
- Make a Book Deselection or Reconsideration Request – Is there a form I can fill out to request removal of library material?
- List of Book Deselection and Reconsideration Requests for 2022-2023 – Where can I view current challenges of library materials?
- Circulation and Fine Guidelines (PDF) – Where can I learn about how library materials are checked out and how fines work?
- Additional Library Resources – Where can I find guidelines, resources, and how-to information for Granite School District library staff, as well as other employees
- Proficiency-Based Learning (PBL) – What is Proficiency-Based-Learning?
- Health – Maturation and sexual education.
- Early Learning Standards – What skills will my preschool student learn?
- Canvas – How do I learn about Canvas?
- Canvas Videos for Families – How do I learn about how to use Canvas?
- Graduate of Granite Characteristics – What are our goals for academic profeciency and success?
ATHLETICS & ACTIVITIES
- Athletics – What athletics and activities are happening in Granite School District?
- Concussion Protocol (PDF) – What is the Concussion Protocol?
- Peach Jar – How can I distribute a flyer to students?
- Inclement Weather Closure Procedures – What are the weather closure procedures?
- Social Media – What is Granite School District’s social media policy?
- Concussion Protocol (PDF) – What is the concussion protocol?
- COVID Questions – What is the protocol for COVID-19?
- Head Lice (PDF) – What is the protocol for head lice?
- Piojos (Español) (PDF) – ¿Cuál es el protocolo para los piojos?
- Sick Child Handout (PDF) – When should my child stay at home?
- Folleto para niños enfermos (Español) (PDF) – ¿Cuándo debe mi hijo quedarse en casa?
- Vaping Prevention and Intervention – What resources are available to help fight student use of E-cigarettes & other vape products?
LEGAL QUESTIONS / CONCERNS
- Guardianship / custody – Who do I contact about guardianship / custody?
- Student Privacy – Elementary (PDF) – How does FERPA ( student privacy ) apply to my elementary school student?
- Student Privacy – Secondary (PDF) – How does FERPA ( student privacy ) apply to my secondary school student?
- Digital Citizenship – How do we stay safe on the web?
- Don’t Be Blown Away By Your Child’s Smartphone Use – How do we stay safe on our smartphones?
- Plugged In Parents: Grades K-8 from Common Sense Media – A presentation with resources in English and Spanish that addresses keeping kids safe, happy, and healthy in the digital age.
- Social Media, Gaming, and Mental Health – A presentation with resources in English and Spanish from Common Sense Media
- Be Internet Awesome from Google – Digital safety resources for family in English and Spanish
- Digital Citizenship – Granite District’s Educational Technology department’s list of curated resources for navigating an online world.
- Digital Safety Video – Smartphones and mobile devices are great tools for connecting friends, finding information, and managing daily life. There are, however, important things every parent needs to know to prevent unwanted surprises from their child’s smartphone use.
- How to Set Up Parental Controls on iPhone?
- Setting up parental controls on an Android phone?
- Special Education Records Requests – How do I obtain Special Education Records?
- Utah Parent Center – Resources for families of students with disabilities..
STUDENTS, FAMILIES & COMMUNTITY
- Bullying Prevention – Where can I find resources for bullying prevention?
- Gradebook – How do I see my student’s grades & follow their progress?
- Lunch Menus – What’s for lunch?
- Lunch Payments – How do I make a lunch payment?
- Parent Portal Resources – Where can I access grades?
- Find Employment – What jobs are available at Granite School District?
- Math Vocabulary – Where can I find math vocabulary?
- Boundary Maps – Where should my child attend school?
- Education Foundation – Where can I make a donation?
- Parent Handbook (PDF) – A quick reference guide for Granite School District families
- Family and Community Engagement – Where can I learn about children’s learning and development from birth through college and career?
- GRAMA – How do I access district records?
- Eligibility – Is my student eligible for transportation?
- Here Comes the Bus – Can I track the bus my student is on?
MENTAL HEALTH & CRISIS SUPPORT
- Student Self-Care – Where can I learn more about mental health resources available to students.
- Bullying Prevention Resources – This webpage includes resources for bullying prevention and intervention.
Suicide Prevention and Crisis Support
- SafeUT – Parents and students can chat or talk with a mental health professional anytime during the day or night to support you and/or your child’s crisis needs. App download available on SafeUT website.
- Huntsman Mental Health Institute – HMHI (formerly UNI) provides inpatient/outpatient care and specialty programs to prevent mental health crises. Programs support individuals struggling with mental health challenges and connect individuals to additional resources. They are there when you need them most.
- Stabilization and Mobile Response – Mobile response services provide in-home crisis support, safety plans, and additional services as needed. The stabilization services ensure a family’s long-term success and include teaching skills to improve family functioning, creating plans that prepare for and prevent future challenges, preventing the need for out-of-home services, equipping with ongoing resources and support, and connecting families to other helpful resources. Call for help: 1-833-SAFE-FAM.
- Suicide Prevention and Intervention – Where can I find resources for suicide prevention?
Primary Children’s Crisis Partial Hospitalization Program Information
- CRISIS PARTIAL HOSPITALIZATION PROGRAM FLYER (PDF)
- Partial Hospitalization Program Topics Parent Handout (IMAGE PNG)
- Partial Hospitalization Program Topics Parent Handout (PDF)
Mental Health Family and Peer-to-Peer Support
- NAMI – National Alliance on Mental Illness is dedicated to building better lives for Americans affected by mental illness. NAMI uses peer to peer support to educate, advocate, listen and lead to improve the lives of people with mental illness and their loved ones. A variety of support groups are offered for parents and teens.
Mental Health Treatment and Support
- Valley Behavioral Health – Valley’s children’s behavioral treatment services and programs focus on decreasing a child’s symptoms in order to enhance and maintain their level of functioning.
- Latino Behavioral Health – Latino Behavioral Health works to create accessible services for the LatinX population in Utah and includes services such as counseling, empowerment, and socioeconomic support.
- Salt Lake County Division of Youth Services – Providing children, youth, and families in crisis with immediate safety, shelter and support.
- Sacred Circle Health Care – The focus is you, the patient. Everyone’s individual experience is unique with treatment plans tailored to you with focus on all aspects of your well-being, physical and emotional.
Substance Use Prevention
We want our students to reach adulthood safely and in good health. An important component of this is Substance Use Prevention. Substance Use during formative years can negatively impact brain development and lead to multiple other negative outcomes.
- Drug & Alcohol Prevention – This is a Granite School District-sponsored webpage listing multiple prevention and intervention resources for parents and students to help prevent drug use and abuse among our students.
- Service Providers (PDF) – Individuals who experience substance use and abuse issues benefit significantly from counseling and treatment programs. This file is a list you can choose from if your family would like to contact a local agency to seek help for your student.
Child Abuse Prevention
Early intervention is essential to help prevent child abuse. Awareness in both adults and children is essential to empower them to avoid and/or intervene in the event of harmful occurrences.
- Prevent Child Abuse Utah – Prevent Child Abuse Utah provides resources including programs, services, and education designed to prevent child abuse in all forms.
- Human Trafficking – Human trafficking is a modern-day form of slavery involving the illegal trade of people for exploitation or commercial gain.
- Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS) – The purpose of DCFS is to keep children safe from abuse and neglect. If you suspect either child abuse or neglect, please call the 24/7 hotline at 1-855-323-3237.