According to the United Nations, a refugee is “a person who is outside his/her country and is unable or unwilling to return to that country because of a well-founded fear that she/he will be persecuted because of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group.”
Tumaini Welcome & Transition Center
The Tumaini Welcome & Transition Center (Spanish Flier) helps new-comer students successfully transition into their home schools. Participants receive an intensive two-week instructional program focusing on academic and social skills in English. The curriculum includes: oral language, school culture, literacy, numeracy, computers, and collaborative learning.
Serve Refugees Donation Sharehouse
The Serve Refugees Sharehouse is now part of the Dept. of Family and Community Engagement. The new location is 3134 S 300 E, Salt Lake City, Utah 84115. Donation drop offs are on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm.
Language Academy at Cottonwood High
The Language Academy is designed to serve refugees and immigrants from around the world. The Language Academy provides access to a first class education with highly qualified teachers and staff. In an enriching and supportive environment we strive to increase the English language skills and academic achievement of newcomer students to support success full integration into mainstream society.
- Refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Bhutanese Refugees from Nepal
- Interview with a Burmese Karen Father
- Somali Bantu Refugees: Cultural Considerations for Social Service Providers
- Refugee Families from Iraq
- Utah Refugee Connection
- Asian Association of Utah
- International Rescue Committee – Salt Lake City
- Center for Applied Linguistics – Culture Orientation Resource Center
- Catholic Community Services
- State of Utah Refugee Office
- U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement
- Bridging Refugee Youth & Children’s Services (B.R.Y.C.S.) – Refugee Portal