Beginning the 2021-2022 school year, online learning options will be centralized into two platforms: one for K-8 students, and one for 9-12 students. While evidence shows that face-to-face learning is best for most students, families should meet with their school administrator or counselor to carefully consider options and choose the right fit for their student.
Granite Online Referrals
All referrals for Granite Online begin with the home boundary school principal or counselor. Referrals are evaluated to determine possible enrollment and are done only at grading period changes.
Attendance Office: Granite Online Live K-12
Is your student absent? Call our attendance office to excuse your student’s absence. 385-646-4239
School began August 16. Attendance is taken each day/period. Students must attend the live session to be marked present. Students absent for 10 consecutive days are unenrolled.
Orientation to Granite Online-Back to School Night:
View our Back to School Night webinar as your orientation as a new student in Granite Online. You will meet our full time teachers and learn more about how we do Live Virtual School. Families may watch the webinar at any time.
Chromebook Pick Up:
350 E. Baird Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84115 (Google Maps takes you to the campus, but you need the very south and east end of the parking lot near the playing field)
Technology Resources for Granite Online Live Families
- Granite Online Helpdesk 385-646-4040
- Link to Granite Online Live Learning Resources
- Link to Chromebook Login Instructions
- Link to Canvas Login
- Digital Citizenship: Plugged in Parents K-8
- Digital Citizenship: Social Media, Gaming and Mental Health 9-12
Regular Day 8:15am-2:55 pm
Planning Day 8:15 am-12:50 pm
Regular Day 7:30 am-2:10 pm
|1A or 1B||7:30-8:56 (86 minutes)|
|2A or 2B||9:01-10:33 (92 minutes – includes 6 minutes for announcements)|
|Lunch||10:33-11:08 (35 minutes)|
|3A or 3B||11:13 – 12:39 (86 minutes)|
|4A or 4B||12:44 – 2:10 (86 minutes)|
Friday Planning Day 8:30 am-2:10pm
|Teacher Team Meeting Time (PLC)||7:10 – 8:25 (75 minutes)|
|1A or 1B||8:30 – 9:40 (70 minutes)|
|2A or 2B||9:45-11:05 (80 minutes – includes 10 minutes for announcements)|
|Lunch||11:05 – 11:40 (35 minutes)|
|3A or 3B||11:45-12:55 (70 minutes)|
|4A or 4B||1:00-2:10 (70 minutes)|
Granite Online Parent/Family Expectations
We ask that all parents understand that their student are engaging in a live online class community. For this reason, we ask that parents adhere to the following expectations:
- Encourage your child to complete all assigned tasks.
- If your student is absent parents need to call and report your student’s absence to our main office 385-646-4239.
- Provide an appropriate space for your student to be uninterrupted by distractions at home, comfortable and engaged during live instruction.
- Ensure all technology is operating as it should prior to the start of a session. Reach out to our Helpdesk if needed 385-646-4040.
- Support your student’s participation and engagement through positive and productive encouragement and feedback each day.
- Limit the interactions you have with your student when they are working live online as the teacher is delivering lessons. While we understand and appreciate that you want to ensure that your student is engaging actively and successfully during class, family interactions during live instruction can result in the unintended consequence of your student not hearing important details, prompts or instructions from the teacher and increases frustration and distraction on the part of your student and others. Parents should email/call school to set up appointments to meet with teacher and not join the live classroom sessions.
- Communicate all concerns with teachers, related service staff, and/or support staff via phone and email outside of live instruction time so that the teacher may give their full attention to students and their instruction during the school day.
Granite Online General Information
All referrals for Granite Online begin with the home boundary school principal or counselor. Referrals are evaluated to determine possible enrollment.
The Online Live option features live virtual classes taught during specific timeframes during the school day. Instruction includes live virtual interaction with teachers, lectures, discussions, Q&A sessions, and feedback for students during class.
- Classes take place in real-time during the school day (synchronous). Lessons are presented live, and students must log in every school day as if they were attending an in-person class.
- Core courses that meet all academic requirements are provided, along with a selection of elective courses. Honors and specialty courses are not available.
- Students are assigned to Granite Online teachers and staff. K-8 classes are NOT taught by teachers from the student’s home boundary school. 9-12 classes MAY be taught by teachers at the boundary school.
- Students in grades K-8 are enrolled full-time; their entire school experience takes place online.
- Students in grades 9-12 may enroll full or part-time and may also enroll in Online Self-Paced courses.
Granite Online Self-Paced (9-12 Only)
The Self-Paced option is available for students in grades 9-12. These are independent online courses with access to teachers for questions via email as needed. Granite Online Self-Paced offers a variety of elective courses and some (but not all) core classes.
- Part-time enrollment; most students take classes on top of a full face-to-face schedule.
- Review options here
- Students work independently on coursework (asynchronous) and may get assistance from a Granite Online teacher via email.
- Flexible enrollment and completion dates during the school year and summer.