Cyberbullying and online abuse often occurs through anonymous accounts that are set up to hide the identity of the perpetrator(s). This presents a challenge for school officials attempting to stop the online abuse. Fortunately, most major social media networks have features in place to help users report profiles engaging in cyberbullying and harassment.
- If the account in question has issued a threat of violence or other criminal act, contact Granite School District Police immediately: 801-481-7122
- If the perpetrator can be identified, or if you know the individual(s) operating an anonymous account that is engaged in cyberbullying or harassment, contact your school administrator.
Reporting an Instagram Profile
- Open the account you’d like to report.
- Click the three dots in the upper right corner of the profile ( or ) and click Report.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and indicate that the account is posting content that shouldn’t be on Instagram.
- Select Bullying and Harassment . Instagram will then ask who is being targeted. If the account is impacting multiple individuals, you can simply indicate Someone else.
- When you submit all pertinent information, a message from Instagram will appear that allows you to block or unfollow the account. Please note that Ii you choose either of these options, you may not be able to see the content anymore. Please do whatever you feel most comfortable with.
Reporting a Twitter Profile
- Open the profile that you’d like to report.
- Select the overflow icon.
- Select Report , then select the type of issue to be reported (Abusive or Harmful).
- Twitter will ask you to provide additional information so they have a clear idea of the context.
- Twitter will follow up via email regarding your report.
Other social networks have systems in place for reporting. For additional assistance please contact your school administrator or the Communications Department at 385.646.4529 or email@example.com