As a school district providing school meals, our commitment is to ensure students have access to nutritious food at all Granite sites. As we transition to a new school year, there are some important changes you need to know:
- Nationwide school meal COVID waivers from the USDA expired at the end of the 2021-2022 school year. This means Granite School District can no longer offer free breakfast and lunch to all students.
- Families must apply for free or reduced-price meals beginning the 2022-2023 school year.
- Follow this link to apply online for free or reduced-price meals. You may also turn in an application to Granite Nutrition Services at 4161 W. 2200 South.
- Students who qualify for reduced-price meals will continue to receive meals at no charge (this was a Granite School District decision).
- The following schools operate under the Community Eligibility Provision and will continue serving breakfast and lunch to all students at no cost: Lincoln Elementary, Moss Elementary, Redwood Elementary, Olene Walker Elementary, Wilson Elementary, and Granite Park Junior High.
- Schools currently operating a Breakfast in the Classroom (BIC) model will continue receiving breakfast at no cost. Traditional models will be charged as free, reduced or paid.
Who can receive Free or Reduced-Price School Meals?
- Children may receive free or reduced-price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits of the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
- All children in households receiving benefits from Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) are eligible for free meals.
- Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
- Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
- Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
If you have additional questions, please contact Granite Nutrition Services at 385.646.4321