Dear Granite Parents and Students,
This school year, the district is implementing the Bark platform as another tool to help ensure student safety and wellbeing. Bark is a platform that uses automated technology to monitor digital content and flag concerning items. Granite School District is using Bark to monitor student use on their Chromebooks as they utilize Google products, including Drive, Workspace, Gmail, and more.
Concerning content that is posted to any of the district’s Google products may be flagged, and appropriate support or action will be taken by district administrators, resource officers, or local law enforcement agencies. Specific content that may be flagged includes threats of violence, suicidal ideation, or sexually explicit material.
Parents, please talk with your students about digital safety and privacy and encourage them to only use the district’s Chromebooks and Google products for school-approved purposes. We thank you for your support and understanding as we implement this new tool as another resource to help keep our students safe.
Local law enforcement agencies have seen a rise in parents receiving fraudulent phone calls in which the caller claims their child has been kidnapped and demands money.
If you receive such a call, please do the following:
- If the suspect demands that you stay on the line, text the Granite School District Police Department at (801) 664-2929.
- Provide Dispatch with your name and the name of your child.
- Dispatch will contact the school, and a school administrator or SRO will escort your child to the office.
- Dispatch will inform you the status of your child and ask that you respond to the school.
- If the suspect disconnects the call at any time, please contact your local law enforcement agency and GSDPD at (801) 481-7122.
Always think twice before sharing information about your children where it could be found by strangers. For example, avoid posting on social media about where your children go to school or who their teachers are. Ensure that your social media accounts are private.
Thank you again for your support.
Granite School District