Granite School District employs more school social workers than any other district in the state. The school social workers are both licensed educators and licensed with the State of Utah to provide mental health services as licensed clinical social workers. School Social work services are available to all K-12 students. There is a school social worker serving each school to provide multiple levels of support services in Granite School District.
Our goal as school social workers is to prepare our students socially, emotionally and mentally to choose college, careers and life pathways as they become global citizens in the 21st century. The type of support given are based on needs of our students. We work in collaboration with school and community resources to assist in providing for the needs of our students and their families. (2023-24 Social Worker School Assignments)
What Do We Do?
School social workers provide a Continuum of Services (PDF) based on student needs. In both elementary and secondary schools, we provide social and emotional learning and mental health counseling to groups and individuals using the National School Social Worker Association of America model (PDF). We link families to resources in the community to help with the needs that assist students to achieve academic success. We use the USBE Comprehensive School Counseling Model to ensure our younger students are introduced to college and career exploration.
We provide the following:
- Individual counseling supports to promote school success
- Social and Emotional Learning and social skills curriculum at the classroom level
- Support for academic success
- Collaborative transitions for students with families and school staff
- Advocate for student physical, social and emotional needs
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
- Support for students with disabilities through a 504 process or Special Education
- Crisis intervention as needed for students that experience loss or trauma that limits their ability to be academically successful
How Do We Help?
We assure that our social workers adhere to confidentiality practices and the NASW ethical code of conduct. Please feel free to call your school and ask to speak to the school social worker. You can set up a time in person or online to talk about your student’s needs. We gather information and always ask for your signed permission prior to providing group or individual counseling services. We will communicate with you to determine the progress of your student. If more intensive needs are evident, we will collaborate with you regarding community resources and support you can access to assure the wellbeing and safety of your student. Find your school social worker here