Becoming Highly Qualified
The Elementary And Secondary Education Act (EASA) is designed to help disadvantaged children reach high academic standards. Properly trained paraprofessionals (teaching assistants) can play important roles in improving student achievement in Title I schools by reinforcing and augmenting a teacher’s effort in the classroom. The ESEA requires that these paraeducators meet “highly qualified” standards. (ESEA Section 1119).
Paraeducators can demonstrate they have attained “highly qualified” status by:
- Obtaining an associate (or higher) degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Successfully completing at least 2 years of study or 48 semester hours at an accredited institution of higher education.
- Successfully pass the Para Pro Exam with a score of 460 or above which demonstrates knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing, reading, writing, and mathematics.
ParaPro Exam Dates
ParaPro exams are proctored monthly at Granite School District at 2500 South State Street, SLC, Utah in the Information Systems computer lab, C-121.
On the test date, you must bring your picture ID, such as a driver’s license. If you need to cancel or reschedule, please call Sandra Riches with as much notice as possible. She can be reached at 385-646-4574.
Parapro Exam dates for the 2020-2021 school year are listed below.
- Thursday July 29, 2021 1:00-4:00
- Tuesday August 10, 2021 1:00-4:00
- Thursday August 26, 2021 1:00-4:00
- Thursday September 9, 2021 1:00-4:00
- Wednesday October 14, 2021 1:00-4:00
- Thursday November 11, 2021 1:00-4:00
- Thursday December 9, 2021 1:00-4:00
- Thursday January 13, 2022 1:00-4:00
- Thursday February 10, 2022 1:00-4:00
- Thursday March 10, 2022 1:00-4:00
- Thursday April 14, 2022 1:00-4:00
- Thursday May 12, 2022 1:00-4:00
- Thursday June 9, 2022 1:00-4:00
Registering for the ParaPro Exam
Due to COVID-19, we are limited the number of individuals in the computer lab at the same time. Early registration is strongly suggested.
Candidates register for the ParaPro Exam by calling Sandra Riches at 385-646-4574. She will reserve your spot in the computer lab on the desired testing date and can facilitate payment over the phone. The cost is $58.00. Please have your credit card ready when you call.
After registering over the phone, Sandra will email you a link to study materials and other reminders about the upcoming Parapro Exam.
Test accommodations (extended testing time) may be available for test takers whose primary language is not English. For more information click on The ParaPro Information Bulletin (PDF) at this website.
Accommodations for test takers with disabilities or health-related needs can be found on the same website.
Studying for the ParaPro Exam
If you would like insight on how the Parapro Exam measures skills and knowledge in reading, mathematics, and writing, as well as the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to assist in classroom instruction, you can read through the following documents from ETS:
After Passing the ParaPro Exam
Immediately after taking your exam, you will be notified whether or not you passed. You will issue your printed certificate to the school principal. He or she will use this as evidence of you being highly qualified.
Building principals will turn in the highly qualified paperwork with their hire letter and the Instructional Paraeducators Form.