Looking for great resources for summer reading and summer learning? In this post we round up programs and resources from Granite School District, our friends at the Salt Lake County Library and Salt Lake City Public Library systems, and other resources from the web in general.
Granite’s OverDrive Digital Library
All K-12 students in Granite School District (as well as all staff members) have access to Granite’s OverDrive Digital Library, where they can choose from thousands of ebooks and digital audiobooks to read or listen to throughout the summer.
You can access Granite’s OverDrive from any web browser by visiting http://granite.lib.overdrive.com. You can also access our library via the OverDrive app, which is available for a whole range of mobile devices and operating systems (see http://app.overdrive.com.) Students log in with their regular school login (student number and whatever password they have at the point school ends.)
GTI Summer STEM Camps
For secondary students, Granite Technical Institute is offering several free STEM Camps on topics including Robotics & Engineering (Grades 10-12), Biotechnology & Biomanufacturing (Grades 10-12), LEGO Robotics (Grades 7-8), and Composites & Tech Design (Grades 10-12).
These classes provide an incredible opportunity for students to learn engineering skills and explore high-demand employment fields. Registration has been extended until May 26, 2017. Follow this link for more information and to register: https://schools.graniteschools.org/gti/stem-summer-camps/
Granitemedia and #GSDEdTech Blog
Our sister site Granitemedia.org will continue to post book reviews and recommendations from Granite library media staff, teachers, and students throughout the summer. Follow the site for ideas on what to read next. Also feel free to share with the community when you read a new book by submitting a review. They are known to send prizes to teachers, staff members, or students who share great book reviews.
We will also post more summer learning and reading ideas and resources here on the #GSDEdTech Blog throughout the summer, so be sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest to keep up with the latest news and resources.
Salt Lake County Library Services
In addition to reading and activity challenges geared specifically to kids, teens, adults, and prereaders, they are also providing the ZAP Kids Summer Passport, which provides young people with access to a wide range of cultural activities and festivals happening throughout Salt Lake County all summer long.
Visit or contact your local branch of the county library system to pick up reading challenge materials and summer passport, check out books, and find out more information about their summer programs.
The Salt Lake City Public Library System
Visit any branch of the The Salt Lake City Public Library System to pick up materials, check out books, and find out more about their summer activities and programs. All residents of Salt Lake County can obtain free city library cards and utilize their services.
Additional Summer Learning and Reading Resources
- Several school libraries in Granite School District open their doors periodically during the summer for book checkout and other programming. Contact your school to find out if they offer this service.
- You can download and listen to the free YA audiobooks provided weekly by Audiobooksync.com all summer long.
- The Utah STEM Action Center curates a list of STEM-related Summer Camps and activities throughout Utah on this page: https://stem.utah.gov/for-students/camps/
- Check out our list of free Digital Resources and Tools for Reading and Literacy. (It is collaborative so feel free to comment or add to it.)
- Through the Read and Win at the Utah State Fair program, kids ages 6-12 who read 10 books this summer can obtain 1 free daily admission to the Utah State Fair, including a carnival ride and a drink.