Update 1/29/2019: ALA Youth Media Award Winners Added
On Granitemedia.org, our sister site where we focus on library resources and book reviews written by Granite students and staff, we are collecting links to lists of the “Best Books of 2018” and award winners. These lists come from professional library publications, teacher organizations, and general news organizations. We even have a few Granite-specific lists. School library staff use them to find more great books to add to library collections and recommend to students. You can check out the collection of lists as it currently stands below, but we will continue to update the post at http://bestbooks.edtech.fun throughout the season as more awards are announced or come to our attention. No matter your interests or focus you’re sure to find some new books for your “to-read” list.
Best Books of 2018
In this pinned feature post we compile links to 2018 children’s and young adult book award announcements, as well as “best-of” lists from professional library journals, newspapers, and other websites and organizations. We’re also curating a Best Books of 2018 Collection in Sora, Granite’s digital library.
Book Awards and Professional Organizations
Winners of these awards were announced on January 28, 2019. Details and an archived recording of the presentation here: http://ala.unikron.com/about.php
The John Newbery Medal is awarded each year “to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.”
The Caldecott Medal is awarded each year “to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.”
The Michael L. Printz Award is given each year to “a book that exemplifies literary excellence in young adult literature.”
Additional ALA Youth Media Awards
ALA sponsors numerous other awards for children’s and young adult literature that were also announced on January 28, 2019.
- At http://ala.unikron.com/ you can access a press release announcing all the winners and honors for each award or watch a recording of the presentation
- Read the American Libraries recap of the award winners at https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blogs/the-scoop/2019-youth-media-award-winners/
- Find general information about all of the awards and links to their individual web sites at http://www.ilovelibraries.org/booklovers/youth-media-awards
[Visit the official site to see the finalists and long list for this award: https://www.nationalbook.org/awards-prizes/national-book-awards-2018/?cat=ypl]
Best of 2018 Lists – Professional Journals
- Books for Youth (single page includes Nonfiction and Fiction selections divided into sections for Older Readers, Middle Readers, and Young Readers)
- Adult Books for Young Adults
- Audiobooks for Youth
- Kirkus – Best Picture Books of 2018
- Kirkus – Best Middle-Grade Books of 2018
- Kirkus – Best Young Adult Books of 2018
- Publisher’s Weekly – Best Picture Books 2018
- Publisher’s Weekly – Best Middle Grade 2018
- Publisher’s Weekly – Best Young Adult 2018
Best of 2018 Lists – Newspapers, Websites, &c.
We also feature our Best New Books review categories. Any book given at least 4 out of 5 stars by one of our student, teacher, or library staff reviewers is added to these lists:
- Best Picture Books
- Best Middle Grade Fiction
- Best YA Fiction
- Best Children’s Nonfiction
- Best YA Nonfiction
- Best Chapter Books
- Best Children’s Graphic Novels
- Best YA Graphic Novels
Did you read a great book in 2018 that you think should be in our website’s best of lists? Why not submit a review?
Know of any other “best-of” book lists or awards we should include in this post? Let us know in the comments section below or @ us on twitter.