This year the Educational Technology department debuted an online learning course on classroom technology for all new teachers in Granite School District. Working with teacher mentors and school technology specialists, new teachers complete modules and earn badges as they master a few of the learning tools available in the district.
Topics/badges currently covered in the first year of New Teacher Tech Training include:
- Using Canvas as a Student (Canvas is the learning management system used for this online course)
- Basic Classroom Computer Management
- Enhanced Classroom Equipment (Projectors and Sound Systems)
- District Email
- Teacher Phones, Skype for Business, and Instant Messaging
- Creating Classroom Websites (Elementary) or Using Canvas LMS (Secondary)
- SAFARI Montage (Digital Video Library)
New teachers can earn 10 re-licensure credits per year by participating in and completing the two year course. This summer the course will be expanded with additional badges and topics becoming available for second-year teachers, while the first-year modules are further refined for incoming first-year teachers.
If you are a new teacher and have questions about New Teacher Tech Training, please contact your elementary school technology specialist or secondary library media educational technology specialist. You can also contact Cherie Anderson in the Educational Technology department with additional questions or suggestions.