Location: 2500 S. State Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84115
Open: Monday 10am-4pm, Wednesday 8am-2pm, Friday 10am-4pm
Contact: Marti Wood
Grade Acceleration- Please meet with you current Granite school principal to discuss this process. Your principal will have forms for you. Testing is done at the district office once the school principal submits the forms.
Granite Online: See your Canvas course for instructions for how to complete a pathway.
Seal of Biliteracy: If you are a Granite District High School senior and are eligible for this exam, contact Sharon Gracia, 385-646-4543 to arrange for your test. She will have the testing center contact you to schedule a time.
State Demonstrated Competency Pathway
- For students in grades 9-12
- May not have taken any portion of the course at an accredited Utah School before submitting portfolio
- No cost for Demonstrated Competency Pathway
- Students may re-submit the portfolio after 365 days if they do not pass the first time
- Letter grades of A, B or No Credit are awarded
- NCAA may not accept credit. Check with your university and NCAA
What is in the Demonstrated Competency Pathway?
The purpose of Demonstrated Competency Assessment Pathway is to provide students with opportunities to demonstrate the knowledge and skills they may have acquired through other means. Successful demonstrated competency students typically have had extensive experience with course content, such as a similar course from out-of-state, related coursework, participation in extra-curricular activities or advanced personal/independent study.
How do I sign up for a Demonstrated Competency Pathway?
An online request for enrollment in the Demonstrated Competency Pathway must be made (below). Each course in the pathway has unique requirements that are aligned to the state core standards. All pathways include the creation and submission of evidence of student understanding of the core standards which may include tests, writing tasks, video reflections and demonstrations as well as projects or other academic artifacts and products.
Request for Demonstrated Competency Pathway
Attention Seniors: Students who are currently in 12th grade must begin any Pathway before April 15 so that all parts may be completed and graded prior to graduation deadlines.
- Request for Pathway -Fill out online (best done in the counselor’s office) Seniors may not register for Pathway after April 15.
- Wait for the email from the testing center for instructions on how to begin your Demonstrated Competency pathway portfolio.
- Results are sent to the counselor in approximately 2-4 weeks from completion of all parts of the pathway.
The following courses are available for the state Demonstrated Competency; most take 1 week advance notice (World Language can take up to 3 weeks notice):
English 9, 10, 11, 12
Math 1, 2, 3
PE: Fitness for Life, Individual Lifetime Activities
World Language: Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese
Digital Studies: Business Office Specialist, Exploring Computer Science
Testing Center Administrator