Warren Child is the Library Media Educational Technology Specialist at Cyprus High School. His library theme for this year is Find Your Treasure: Read.
Warren has created an inviting literacy environment for both students and teachers. He is the go-to person for what’s new in YA literature. As an LMETS he is also the technology specialist for his school, so he is a go-to person for help with just about everything else, as well.
Some of his library promotions include:
- Book of the Week: Promotes and provides additional copies of a new book each week.
- Book Group: They read 8 books a year and meet once a month to discuss the book. Students who attend not only have the opportunity to engage with other students discussing the book but there are always cookies.
- Displays: They are many displays that make the library inviting and promote literacy. Displays change often.
- First Lines: They rotate first lines in books and students are rewards to candy bars if they can identity the book.
- Review books: Warren offers incentives for those students that are willing to read and write book reviews recommending them to other students.
- “Where the Heck is Beck? Warren takes pictures of Dave Beck, Assistant Principal, in different cryptic locations in the school and the first 10 students that can identify the location will be rewarded.
- Website: Warren maintains a library website, cyprusmediacenter.org, where students, teachers and parents can go to see what’s happening in the media center. They will find book reviews, award books, OverDrive, Library Policies and Procedures.
- What Do I Read Next: Warren has provided flyers listing book titles in different genres to give students ideas on what they might want to read next.
- Read Posters: Warren has created over 50 posters of faculty members reading some of their favorite books.
If you love chocolate you might want to visit Cyprus Media Center. This is what you get for reading:
Spotlight Author: Cindy Moyle, Granite District Secondary Library Media Supervisor