Would you like to learn how to start or improve your classroom or school makerspace or even just learn more about what makerspaces are? Our GSD Ed Tech Tuesdays professional development series for teachers includes a Makerspaces Course, with classes held on the second Tuesday of most months in the 2019-2020 school year. In this course, you will learn:
- what makerspaces are and why you should use them,
- practical ways to start or improve your classroom or school makerspace,
- tools and activities that you might consider including in a makerspace.
Each month, we’ll cover an aspect of implementing a makerspace and spend time doing activities and using tools related to a specific theme you might include in your makerspace. You’re welcome to attend one or all of the classes!
Join us on Tuesday, February 25, 2020
March 10, 2020 for the sixth and final session of our Makerspaces course, with the topic “Making the Case for Makerspaces” and the theme of Making Art, Music, and Movies. This class will be held at the Educational Technology Satellite Lab at Jackling Elementary from 4:30-7:30 PM.
Though this course will be most beneficial if you attend all the sessions, all are welcome to sign up to attend any of the sessions.
Here are the upcoming session topics and themes:
- Introduction to Makerspaces: What are makerspaces and why use them? | Theme: Engineering (September 10, 2019)
- Projects & Learning Approaches to Makerspaces | Theme: 3D Design & Printing (October 8, 2019)
- Makerspace Program Planning & Management | Theme: Electronics & Circuits (November 12, 2019)
- Exploring Spaces and Places for Makerspaces | Theme: Coding (December 10, 2019)
- Tools & Materials for Makerspaces | Theme: Robotics (January 14, 2020)
- Making the Case for Makerspaces | Theme: Making Art, Music, & Movies (February 25, 2020
March 10, 2020)
Relicensure points are available. Attend all of the sessions and complete a portfolio assignment to receive 1 USBE credit. If you have any questions about the Makerspace Course or other GSD Ed Tech Tuesdays courses, please contact Jenny Peirce.