Salt Lake County Library Services now provides Student Library Cards – a new type of library card available for students ages 8-17 who live in Salt Lake County. With a Student Library Card, young library users can:
- Check out up to 3 items without accruing fines or fees
- Use library computers
- Access online homework help, research databases, and other resources
- Download ebooks, music, movies, TV shows and other online content through library services
Getting a Student Library Card is free and easy, and does not require the presence of a parent or guardian. Students just need to stop by their neighborhood library with proof that they are a current student, such as a student ID card, report card, signed letter from a teacher on school letterhead, or other official document from the school. If you are a teacher or school administrator, click here to download a quick template form that can be used to provide your students with this enrollment proof so they can obtain library cards.
Here is a sample of the Student Library Card application form that provides additional information about the features and limitations of this program.
Salt Lake County Library Online Resources
With a Student Library Card, young people in our community can access and check out books and other materials from the full catalog of the Salt Lake County Library System, as well as use computers in the library free of charge. In addition, they can use their library card number to access the many digital resources and databases that the county provides to patrons, not just in the library but at home, school, and via mobile devices. Here are just a few of the digital services that Salt Lake County Libraries provide for students and all members of our community:
- Brainfuse HelpNow – live tutoring, homework help, and test preparation for K-12 students. Check out our blog post for more information.
- Downloadables – SLCO’s OverDrive for audiobooks and ebooks, Tumblebooks for interactive picture books, Freegal for music downloads, Hoopla for movies, Zinio for magazines, and many more services.
- Research – General Research databases and resources, Kid Zone Homework Center, and Teen Space Homework Helps are places to start exploring these resources, many of which are only available via the library’s paid subscriptions.
To apply for a Student Library Card or to find more information about any of these resources, visit or contact your local Salt Lake County Library location and ask a librarian.