- Applicants must undergo and clear a background check prior to working.
- Currently the cost of a background check, which the applicant must pay in advance, is $40 (subject to change).
- Applicant must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Requires travel to various building and locations throughout Granite School District as scheduled through Frontline.
- We ask that substitute teachers work a minimum of three days a month to remain active as a substitute teacher in our system.
- Full Day – Substitutes who take a full-day assignment (3.51 to 7 hours) are compensated for full day work.
- Half Day – Substitutes who take a half-day assignment (.5 to 3.50 hours) are compensated for half day work.
- Friday’s (early out) – Granite School District will pay a full day of substitute rate if the substitute works the amount of time that students are in school. This applies to all school schedules (normally 5+ hours).
- Consultation Periods – A teacher’s consultation period is not a “free” period. You are required to work during that time according to the school needs. This could include covering other classes or helping in the office without additional compensation.
What to Expect
For a full-day absence, substitutes should report to the school at the time indicated on Frontline. Subs should use time before school begins to check in at the main office, review lesson plans, seating charts, and locate resources needed for the day. After school, subs should write a detailed note to the regular classroom teacher, straighten the classroom, return all school property, and sign out in the main office before leaving school grounds.
- Accepting an Assignment – Available substitute teaching jobs can be reviewed and selected using the Frontline mobile app or by phone.
- Suggested Phone Settings – In the Absence Management settings we suggest that you personalize your call settings to meet your needs. If you have a day where you unexpectedly have availability and would like to pick up a job, please pick one up using the Frontline App or call the sub desk to be placed in an open job.
- Cancelled Assignments – If a job that you have signed up for is cancelled, the substitute teacher will need to call the sub office so we may place you in another job. We do everything we can to avoid this inconvenience.
Long Term Substitute Rate
- On the 10th consecutive contract day of a single assignment, the daily rate is increased by $15 for a full day or $7.50 for a half day to compensate for additional time and responsibilities.
- On the 35th consecutive contract day of a single assignment, the daily rate is increased by $50 for a full day or $25 for a half day to compensate for additional time and responsibilities.
- Additional pay for single-assignment, long term jobs (those lasting longer than none continuous contract days), will be paid at the end of the long-term substitute job.
- STEDI Substitute Teacher Training Handbook
- All newly hired substitute teachers are given this handbook when they begin work in Granite School District.
- Salt Lake Community College Substitute Teacher Workshop
- Granite School District covers the cost of this workshop for those substitutes wishing to participate in this training. The training is not mandatory. However, we have received great feedback from our substitutes regarding the value of this workshop.